Fall Dessert: Pumpkin S’Mores Bars
As we Instagram photos of red, yellow, and orange leaves on campus, our autumn senses are on high alert: the scent of apple pie, the taste of warm cider, the sound of early Christmas music playing in the local coffee shop against a crackling fireplace… and pumpkin, everywhere.
Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin bagels, and pumpkin inspired cocktails! But what about a pumpkin dessert like pumpkin s’mores bar?
Check out this recipe for a sweet fall-inspired dessert (and enjoy as the smell of autumn and pumpkin spice wafts from the oven):
Servings: 15-25 bars, depending on how you cut them
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose four
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 3 chocolate bars (1.45 oz. each) or 1 pack chocolate chips
- 2 graham crackers
- 1 ¾ cup mini marshmallows
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil (leave some over the edges for easy removal) and lightly spray with non-stick spray. I lent my baking pan to a friend, so I used a cookie sheet with a Silpate (non-stick baking liner, love of my life) and because the pumpkin puree mix is thick, it didn’t spread out at all.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla until mixed well. Beat in pumpkin puree and gently add the dry ingredients.
- Spread the mixture in the baking dish, about 2-3 ½ inches thick. Top with crushed graham crackers (you may place them in a Ziploc and crush them with a rolling pin), chocolate, and mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely before removing from pan using the foil flaps.
- Cut into squares and serve!
Recipe adapted from MyBakingAddiction.com.