Dorm Room Creations: From breakfast to dessert
Cooking without a fully stocked kitchen can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Here are three recipes that you can make in your microwave with just basic ingredients and a mug. Healthier and more delicious than processed foods and just as quick and easy as pre-made microwave meals, these recipes elevate dorm room dining.
If you’re in the mood for a hot breakfast (or just a good dose of protein at any time in the day), try microwave scrambled eggs. I will admit that they aren’t quite as good as eggs made on the stove, but they are still certainly worth trying. The eggs puff up quite a bit and become fluffy—almost like a soufflé. This is a recipe you can definitely try spicing up by adding hot sauce, vegetables, bacon, or whatever else you have in your fridge.
Prep Time 2 minutes Cook Time 1 ½ minutes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons cheese of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Crack both eggs into your mug.
2. Add milk, cheese, salt and pepper.
3. Beat until completely blended.
4. Microwave 45 seconds. The top should be fluffy but the bottom will be uncooked.
5. Flip your “soufflé” over so that the cooked portion is at the bottom of the mug and the raw egg mixture is at the top.
6. Microwave 45 seconds (or until done).
Mac and cheese in a mug has been my favorite dorm room creation so far. It’s easy and fast to make and infinitely better than microwavable Easy Mac or Maruchan Ramen. There are also endless possibilities for customizing your pasta. In the future, I’d like to try making it with pesto, red sauce, kimchi, veggies or Italian sausage. You can use leftovers from home or borrow some ingredients from the Dewick or Carm salad bar like I did.
Prep Time 3 minutes Cook Time 4 ½ minutes
- ¾ cup macaroni
- ¾ cup water
- Dash of salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup mushrooms
- ½ cup cheese of your choice
- Sriracha to taste
1. Put the macaroni and water in your mug with a dash of salt.
2. Microwave for 4 minutes (be careful it doesn’t overflow!). The macaroni should be done but a little bit al dente.
3. Add the milk, mushrooms, cheese and sriracha (or whatever ingredients you have chosen) and mix thoroughly.
4. Microwave for 45 seconds or until done.
There are hundreds of different cakes and other sweets you can make in just a few minutes in a mug. A favorite of mine is Melissa’s Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug (The recipe can be found here). Some desserts made in a mug don’t turn out quite right but this is just as good as anything from an oven. The texture is fluffier than your typical chocolate chip cookie and absolutely delicious!
Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 1 minute
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Just under ¼ of all-purpose flour
- 2 heaping tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Start by just melting your butter in the microwave.
- Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine.
- Separate your egg and add the yolk to your cup. Stir to combine.
- Add flour and stir again. Measure a scant, slightly less than full, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour.
- Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Now your mixture will look like cookie dough.
- Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, starting to check for doneness at 40 seconds. Do not cook past one minute: just like a regular cookie, this will continue cooking as it cools.
- Serve warm.