HAUTE HALLOWEEN: The Quintessential Pumpkin
Fall is upon is, and so is Halloween. While you might be content binging on expired candies, we at Tasty Tufts would like to take thing up a gourmet notch. Here are a couple recipes that at least sound appetizing.
RECIPE: Squash Soup in Pumpkin Bowl
For the Bowls:
- 4 small baking pumpkins (such as hooligan or sugar pie), acorn squash or sweet dumpling squash
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
For the Soup:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 medium butternut or kuri squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- Heavy cream (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Toppings:
- Pepitas (hulled green pumpkin seeds)
- Sourdough and/or pumpernickel croutons
- Paprika, chili powder or Spanish pimento
- Crisp prosciutto, serrano ham or bacon
- Fried onions
- Fried sage or parsley leaves
- Make the bowls
- Meanwhile, make the soup: Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Strip the thyme leaves into the pot, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and sugar and cook, stirring, until glazed, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender, crack the lid to let steam escape and puree until smooth; return to the saucepan (or puree directly in the pan with an immersion blender). Stir in the heavy cream, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, and top as desired.
: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Use a paring knife to cut a large circle around the stem of each pumpkin (make a zigzag cut, if desired). Remove the lid and scoop out the seeds and fibers. Sprinkle the inside of each with 1/2 teaspoon each sugar and salt. Place the pumpkins and lids on a baking sheet; roast until tender, 20 to 35 minutes, depending on their size.