GET ROOTED: Fall Vegetables, and more
Fall Roasted Root Vegetables
Fall is upon us, and that means fresh vitamin-rich root vegetables are plentiful! Take advantage of them now with this super-easy recipe that’s as healthy as it is delicious. Your friends will root for your cooking!
- Assorted root veggies of your choice: sweet potatoes, potatoes (regular, Yukon gold, purple), carrots, parsnips, beets, etc., peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup (tightly packed) fresh basil leaves
- 5 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt (to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- Place large shallow baking dish or sheet pan in oven.
- In a big bowl toss all the ingredients for the roasted roots, be generous with salt and pepper, add root vegetables and mix well.
- Pull baking dish from oven and place vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until veggies are soft. Turn vegetables two or three times during roasting.
- Once tender, turn on the broiler to caramelize veggies. Watch closely, turning often. Anticipate about 5 minutes under broiler. Enjoy!