RECIPE: Rosh Hashanah’s ‘Sweet Deal’
Honey cake is a Rosh Hashanah tradition. This holiday honey cake is easy to make and delicious to eat. Or if this looks good anyway, just make it for the sake of it.
• 2 Tbsp. instant coffee dissolved into 3/4 cup hot water
• 3 eggs
• 3 Tbsp. oil
• 3/4 cup apple sauce
• 3/4 cup honey
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 1/4 cups flour
• 3/4 tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. salt
1. Dissolve coffee into water. Cool.
2. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Celsius).
3. Mix eggs, oil, apple sauce, honey and brown sugar in a using an electric mixer.
4. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt).
5. Alternating, add flour mixture and coffee to the egg mixture in the bowl. Mix lightly until just smooth.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
– Recipe by Rachel Adelsberger