The Perfect Gift for: The Health Nut
‘Tis the season for over-indulgence, and while I personally have no problem eating half my body weight in sugar and butter this holiday season (calories don’t count during the holidays, right?), we all have that person in our life who would rather pass up the baked brie for some crudités. With this homemade granola recipe, you can give the gift of a sweet treat that won’t make him or her bust at the seams in their new holiday outfit. Then eat all the cookies for yourself.
Makes 6 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, and spread shredded coconut on top. Bake until toasted. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Decrease oven temperature to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment; set aside. In a large bowl, toss together oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, almonds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together honey and butter; pour over oat mixture. Stir well. Spread onto sheets. Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Break up granola; sprinkle with raisins and toasted coconut. Store in airtight container.
recipe courtesy of Marthastewart.com